Spirit of India
Asia > India | 15 days
Trip Code: AHSPD
Exploring Indian spirituality at Hindu, Buddhist and Sikh temples, Observing local traditions on the River Ganges and in rural villages, Searching out wildlife in Ranthambore with local naturalist park rangers, Walking though history in royal palaces and forts
Walking through Delhi’s markets, you realize that India’s like nothing you’ve ever experienced—its kaleidoscope of culture and colour has burnt itself into your memory. And it’s not just the magnificent forts or treasures like the Taj Mahal that impress—it’s the country’s spirit. Visit the birthplace of Buddhism and Hinduism to gain greater insight into this ancient and complex land. From a safari in Ranthambore and a cruise on the Ganges to cycle-rickshaw rides, our expert guides will bring you deep into one of the world’s most culturally and spiritually fascinating places.
Check out our Trip Details for even more information about this trip.
Day 1 Delhi (1D)
Arrive at any time. Included transfer to hotel. Tonight, enjoy an Indian feast welcome dinner.
Day 2 Delhi/Varanasi (1B,1L)
Enjoy a walking tour of Old Delhi including the Jama Masjid (Great Mosque), Raj Ghat (Cremation Garden of Mahatma Gandhi), Chandni Chowk local market, Q'tub Minar and Gurduwara (a Sikh place of worship). This afternoon, fly to Varanasi and enjoy a sunset boat trip on the Ganges river to observe local ceremonies.
Day 3 Varanasi (1B,1L)
Rise early for a sunrise boat trip along the Ganges to observe the dawn rituals of bathing and burial. This afternoon we take a language class to learn the basics and visit to Sarnath, where Lord Buddha preached his first sermon.
Day 4 Khajuraho (1B,1L)
Fly to Khajuraho and visit the Western Temples, famous for their erotic sculptures depicting scenes from the Kama Sutra. We also take a yoga class and enjoy a local Kandariya dance show.
Day 5 Agra (1B,1L)
Meet some local people on our train ride to Agra.
Days 6 Agra/Ranthambore (1B)
Visit and explore the Taj Mahal, take a cycle-rickshaw ride through the busy streets of Agra and visit the Red Fort. Later travel to Ranthambore National Park.
Day 7 Ranthambore National Park (1B,1L,1D)
Explore Ranthambore National Park with local naturalists/rangers on two safari drives in search of deer, birds, leopards and monkeys - if we are lucky, we may even see one of the resident tigers. Walk up the ruins of Ranthambore Fort and pay respects at the Ganesh temple.
Days 8-9 Jaipur (2B,1L)
Travel to Jaipur where we learn more of India's history with visits to the City Palace, Palace of the Winds and impressive Amber Fort.
Days 10-11 Rawla Jojawar (2B,1D)
Drive to Jojawar and spend two nights in an historic heritage hotel. Explore the village with the opportunity to meet with locals who provide insight into rural village life in India. Also enjoy a countryside rural train safari through the Aravali Hill ranges.
Days 12-13 Udaipur (2B,1D)
Travel to Udaipur and take an orientation walk including a visit to Lake Pichola and Lake Palace. On Day 12, we explore the City Palace and Jagdish Temple which is dedicated to Lord Vishnu.
Day 14 Delhi (1B,1D)
Flight to Delhi and farewell dinner.
Day 15 Delhi (1B)
Depart at any time.
After choosing your desired tour, you will need to select a departure date that works for you. You can view all of our dates and prices on any tour page. You may also want to consider the need for a private room during the tour. Please remember to ask for an air quote. It is important however that you do not purchase tickets that carry cancellations penalties until your trip is guaranteed to run.
- Available – Trips marked as available means there are at least 4 spots left on your tour.
- On Request– Less than 4 spaces are left, or we need to contact a local supplier, especially in the case of independent tours.
- Waitlist – There is currently no space available, but you can ask to be contacted if anything opens up.
Guaranteed - We guarantee our tours 60 days before departure. Some popular tours are guaranteed before this date. If your tour indicates it is guaranteed, you can proceed to book your international airfare once you receive your booking confirmation.
Inca Trail Status - For Peru trips that involve hiking the Inca Trail permits often sell out many months in advance. Permits can either be available, on request or sold out. If sold out, then you can either take a different hiking route to Machu Picchu or extend your stay in Cuzco and visit Machu Picchu by train. We recommend the sooner you book your trip the better.
Book your Tour Online
When you decide to “book now” you will proceed to our secure, online booking pages that are encrypted for online purchases. The processing steps are explained below. Essential information comes first. Let us know who you are and whom you are traveling with.
- Add your personal information for our “passenger” section, such as name (as it appears on your passport), email, date of birth and save that information.
- Please advise us of any medical or meal requirements at this time.
- If you are travelling with anyone else, enter their personal information next, and continue doing this for any passengers you are booking and paying for.
- Review our insurance section so that you’re aware of our requirements.
Note: Discovery Adventures can book your insurance for you.
Proceed to the checkout...
- Please refer to your invoice for a recap of the total cost of services and tours you have requested. Once you have confirmed that your booking details are correct, it is time to book.
- “Hold an option,” means you will have 48 hours to decide, without being charged on your credit card. If you do not confirm, we will release your space for someone else.
- On most tours you can “hold an option” with a credit card or “confirm a booking”.
- Confirming a booking means your credit card will be charged the deposit amount of your tour. The following are the amounts: CAD 250, AUD 250, NZD 250, USD 250, GBP 100, EUR 250.
- Note that you will be charged the full tour amount if your booking request is within 60 days of departure.
- Enter your credit card information as requested and submit the booking to complete your transaction!
- It is a good idea to record your Booking Number and ID for future reference.
We'll be in touch!
Upon receipt of your request, our reservations team will prepare your invoices and documents, and review any special requirements for the tour(s) and services you have requested. You will hear from us within 24 hours of your request by email.
- Please note, even if your online booking went through and you’ve received your booking number, a quality control check is required for all bookings before we can advise to book airfare or extra services.
- We will answer any questions you may have, and provide competitive quotes on both insurance and airfare over the phone.
Good things to know before you go on your Discovery Adventures trip.
Our Discovery Adventures Specialists will take care of all the details of your trip, however some travelers enjoy doing a little research on their own to be ahead of the game. Here are some tips and links to get you started.
- Passport: Make sure your passport is valid up to 6 months from your return date.
- Travel Visas - Requirements change frequently and are dependent upon your nationality and your destination. You are responsible for obtaining your own Visas. Check the Plan Your Trip page to determine if a Visa is required for your specific trip.
- Travel Reports: Most governments have websites dedicated to providing the most up-to-date travel information including recent news and background information on every country. Please visit the US State site for information about your destination and international travel
- Arrival and Departure taxes/fees: Check your tour confirmation documents and speak with a Discovery Adventure Specialist if you have any questions.
- Immunizations and travel health issues: Be sure to get the most accurate and up-to-date health information for the region you will be visiting. Check with your general physician or a specialist from your local travel health clinic.
- Good Health Practices: Adjusting to new climates and cultural conditions can cause some minor complications. This guide will help you stay healthy while you travel.
- Travel Insurance: Be sure to acquire the necessary travel insurance before your trip. You will not be allowed to participate without showing proof of adequate coverage.
- Packing Tips: Create your own packing list based on your destination, accommodations, weather and tour activities. Leave jewelery at home and keep makeup to a minimum. Travel size toiletries stored in a waterproof kit are recommended. Pack once…divide it in half and pack again. (Please verify weight and carry on restrictions with your airline carrier.)
- ex Delhi
- Max 16, Avg 12
- Comfort hotels (14 nts).
- Minibus, train, auto-rickshaws, cycle-rickshaws, small riverboat, plane, walking.
- 14 Breakfasts, 6 Lunches, 5 Dinners
- Discovery Adventures guide, local guides
- Allow USD285-375 for meals not included.
- Arrival transfer - Welcome gift - Introductory language lesson - Orientation walk of old Delhi - Visit to Jama Masjid, Chandni Chowk, Gurudwara, Raj Ghat - Orientation walk of Varanasi - Visit to Sarnath - Sunset and Sunrise boat trip on the Ganges River - Visit the Khajuraho Temples - Take a yoga class - Kandariya Dance Show - Tour of the Taj Majal - Cyclo-rickshaw ride and visit the Red Fort - 2 Safari drives with wildlife viewing and visit to Ranthambore Fort and the Ganesh temple - Tour the City Palace Jaipur - Visit the Palace of the Winds and tour of Amber Fort - Village-stay at Rawla Jojawar with train safari - 2 nights in a historic heritage hotel, Jag Mandir, City Palace, and Jagdish Temple.
- Please note that if you have booked the "My Own Room" option for this tour, you will receive your own single room for all night stops.