Spirit of Bhutan
Asia > Bhutan | 12 days
Trip Code: ADBHD
Gazing up at mystical mountains, Contemplating the meaning of it all at ancient temples and shrines, Hiking along peaceful nature trails, Experiencing the pristine and peaceful nature of the 'Dragon Kingdom'.
For lovers of Asian culture wanting to dig deeper, this 12-day trip through Bhutan's magnificent mountain terrain promises stunning photographs and encounters with a people who care more about GNH—Gross National Happiness—than GDP. As you explore tiny towns and remarkable monasteries, you'll receive unparallelled opportunities for cultural interactions, photography, hiking and blessings from Buddhist monks. With the direction of an expert local guide, immerse yourself in a land that prides itself on its remote isolation.
Check out our Trip Details for even more information about this trip.
Day 1 Paro (1D)
Arrive at any time, arrival transfer and welcome dinner included. Later visit the Rimpung Dzong, a school for monks, and take a walk through the shopping district.
Day 2 Haa (1B,1L,1D)
Today we drive to one of the most remote and sacred valleys in Bhutan—via the Chelela Pass. At the pass, we hike to Kila Goempa Nunnery clinging to a rocky cliff. In the valley, we visit Wangchuk Lo Dzong shrine and the Lhakhang Nagpo (Black Temple) and Lhakhang Karpo (White Temple) which were built in the 7th century.
Day 3-4 Punakha (2B,2L,2D)
Continue on to Punakha, crossing the Dochula Pass, which offers stunning views of the Himalayan Ranges. On Day 4, we take a short hike to Punakha Dzong, a monastery and fertility shrine. Later, visit the town of Wangdue and walk through rice terraces and forest to Khamsum Yueley Chorten, a shrine built by the Queen of Bhutan.
Day 5-6 Gangtey (2B,2L,2D)
En route to Gangtey, visit the village of Khewa. On Day 6, walk to the monastery of Gangtey Goempa, which holds the most scared relics of Bhutan. After, visit the community school, and then walk across Phobjikha Valley and into the Khewa Valley to visit an old temple and offer a donation.
Day 7-8 Bumthang (2B,2L,2D)
Continue over the Chendebji Chorten and Pelela Pass to Trongsa and visit the impressive Trongsa Dzong situated on a spur overlooking the Mangde Chhu and then continue your drive to Bumthang. Here we hike to the Tamshing Monastery (one of the oldest monastic schools) and Kurjey Lhakhang. We also visit Jambay Lhakhang and Jakar Dzong. The evening ends with a walk through Chamkhar bazaar and a walk across the Chamkhar Bridge.
Day 9 Wangdue (1B,1L,1D)
Stunning views again as we travel over the Yotongla Pass onto Trongsa and continue via Pelela Pass to Wangdue.
Day 10-11 Paro (2B,2L,2D)
Visit Thimphu for some shopping, then drive to Paro. On Day 11, visit the ruined fortress of Drukgyal Dzong, then hike up to the Taktsang monastery (Tiger’s Nest), one of the most venerated pilgrim sites of the Himalayan world. The monastic complex clings to the rock towering 900 metres above the valley. Later visit Kyichu Lhakhang Temple and the local archery grounds.
Day 12 Paro (1B)
Depart at any time.
After choosing your desired tour, you will need to select a departure date that works for you. You can view all of our dates and prices on any tour page. You may also want to consider the need for a private room during the tour. Please remember to ask for an air quote. It is important however that you do not purchase tickets that carry cancellations penalties until your trip is guaranteed to run.
- Available – Trips marked as available means there are at least 4 spots left on your tour.
- On Request– Less than 4 spaces are left, or we need to contact a local supplier, especially in the case of independent tours.
- Waitlist – There is currently no space available, but you can ask to be contacted if anything opens up.
Guaranteed - We guarantee our tours 60 days before departure. Some popular tours are guaranteed before this date. If your tour indicates it is guaranteed, you can proceed to book your international airfare once you receive your booking confirmation.
Inca Trail Status - For Peru trips that involve hiking the Inca Trail permits often sell out many months in advance. Permits can either be available, on request or sold out. If sold out, then you can either take a different hiking route to Machu Picchu or extend your stay in Cuzco and visit Machu Picchu by train. We recommend the sooner you book your trip the better.
Book your Tour Online
When you decide to “book now” you will proceed to our secure, online booking pages that are encrypted for online purchases. The processing steps are explained below. Essential information comes first. Let us know who you are and whom you are traveling with.
- Add your personal information for our “passenger” section, such as name (as it appears on your passport), email, date of birth and save that information.
- Please advise us of any medical or meal requirements at this time.
- If you are travelling with anyone else, enter their personal information next, and continue doing this for any passengers you are booking and paying for.
- Review our insurance section so that you’re aware of our requirements.
Note: Discovery Adventures can book your insurance for you.
Proceed to the checkout...
- Please refer to your invoice for a recap of the total cost of services and tours you have requested. Once you have confirmed that your booking details are correct, it is time to book.
- “Hold an option,” means you will have 48 hours to decide, without being charged on your credit card. If you do not confirm, we will release your space for someone else.
- On most tours you can “hold an option” with a credit card or “confirm a booking”.
- Confirming a booking means your credit card will be charged the deposit amount of your tour. The following are the amounts: CAD 250, AUD 250, NZD 250, USD 250, GBP 100, EUR 250.
- Note that you will be charged the full tour amount if your booking request is within 60 days of departure.
- Enter your credit card information as requested and submit the booking to complete your transaction!
- It is a good idea to record your Booking Number and ID for future reference.
We'll be in touch!
Upon receipt of your request, our reservations team will prepare your invoices and documents, and review any special requirements for the tour(s) and services you have requested. You will hear from us within 24 hours of your request by email.
- Please note, even if your online booking went through and you’ve received your booking number, a quality control check is required for all bookings before we can advise to book airfare or extra services.
- We will answer any questions you may have, and provide competitive quotes on both insurance and airfare over the phone.
Good things to know before you go on your Discovery Adventures trip.
Our Discovery Adventures Specialists will take care of all the details of your trip, however some travelers enjoy doing a little research on their own to be ahead of the game. Here are some tips and links to get you started.
- Passport: Make sure your passport is valid up to 6 months from your return date.
- Travel Visas - Requirements change frequently and are dependent upon your nationality and your destination. You are responsible for obtaining your own Visas. Check the Plan Your Trip page to determine if a Visa is required for your specific trip.
- Travel Reports: Most governments have websites dedicated to providing the most up-to-date travel information including recent news and background information on every country. Please visit the US State site for information about your destination and international travel
- Arrival and Departure taxes/fees: Check your tour confirmation documents and speak with a Discovery Adventure Specialist if you have any questions.
- Immunizations and travel health issues: Be sure to get the most accurate and up-to-date health information for the region you will be visiting. Check with your general physician or a specialist from your local travel health clinic.
- Good Health Practices: Adjusting to new climates and cultural conditions can cause some minor complications. This guide will help you stay healthy while you travel.
- Travel Insurance: Be sure to acquire the necessary travel insurance before your trip. You will not be allowed to participate without showing proof of adequate coverage.
- Packing Tips: Create your own packing list based on your destination, accommodations, weather and tour activities. Leave jewelery at home and keep makeup to a minimum. Travel size toiletries stored in a waterproof kit are recommended. Pack once…divide it in half and pack again. (Please verify weight and carry on restrictions with your airline carrier.)
- Discovery Adventures guide, local guides.
- Please note that if you have booked the "My Own Room" option for this tour, you will receive your own single room for all night stops on tour.
- Ex Paro
- Arrival transfer - Welcome gift - Visit the Rimpung Dzong, a school for Monks - Hike to Kila Goempa nunnery - Haa Valley including Wangchuk Lo Dzong shrine and the Lhakhang Nagpo and Lhakhang Karpo Temples - Hike to Punakha Dzong monastery and fertility shrine - Visit the town of Wangdue and walk to Khamsum Yueley Chorten shrine - Visit the village of Khewa - Walk to the monastery of Gangtey Goempa and visit a Community School - Walk across Phobjikha Khewa Valleys - Visit Trongsa Dzong - Hike to the Tamshing Monastery and Kurjey Lhakhang - Visit Jambay Lhakhang and Jakar Dzong - Visit the fortress of Drukgyal Dzong and hike to Taktsang monastery (Tiger’s nest) - Visit Kyichu Lhakhang Temple and the local archery grounds.
- 11 Breakfasts, 10 Lunches, 11 Dinners
- Private vehicle, walking, hiking.
- Allow USD100-150 for meals not included
- Max 16, Avg 10
- Comfort hotels (11 nts)