North Africa / Middle East > Morocco | 12 days
Trip Code: DCMDD
Stepping into the past at the ancient kasbah village of Aït Benhaddou (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), Exploring the Sahara Desert by 4x4 then spending the night in a luxury tented camp, Visiting mountain villages to learn the secrets of Moroccan cooking, Strolling through ancient medinas and markets to watching artisans demonstrate their age-old skills.
The winding streets of Morocco’s ancient medinas are bursting with so many colours and flavours that you’ll be planning a return visit soon after arrival. Explore the souks and streets of Marrakech, head to a luxury desert camp on an overnight 4x4 excursion, explore Atlas Mountains' villages and unwind on the coast in Essaouira. Travel is comfortable and well-paced and our expert guide will be on hand to offer context and reveal its hidden gems. By focusing on the energy of the people, you'll discover the true treasures of Morocco.
Check out our Trip Details for even more information about this trip.
Day 1 Marrakech
Arrive at any time. Transfer to hotel is included.
Day 2 Marrakech (1B)
Explore Marrakech with a local expert guide including the historical sites of Koutoubia Minaret, Palais Bahia, Palais Badi and Medresa Ben Youssef, the medina (old quarter), the alleys of the bustling souks and the famous Djemaa el Fna Square.
Day 3 Aït Benhaddou (1B,1D)
Travel to Aït Benhaddou, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the Atlas Mountains, and explore this ancient kasbah village.
Day 4 Erg Cheggaga Desert Camp (1B,1L,1D)
Travel through the Draa Valley to Zagora, where we embark on 4x4s into the desert. Stop at Tamegroute and visit the famous library of ancient Islamic texts and local pottery studios. From here, travel off-road to the great dunes of Erg Cheggaga and our deluxe desert camp. Take a camel ride into the dunes for sunset or climb to the top for views across the vast Sahara. Enjoy a traditional dinner, under the stars, with a roaring camp fire.
Day 5 Zagora (1B,1D)
Enjoy the sunrise before returning across the desert to Zagora. Afternoon talk of the history of the Draa region and visit local historical sites.
Day 6 Taroudant (1B,1D)
Continue up the Draa Valley then cross towards the Anti-Atlas to the carpet town of Tazenakht and Taliouine, where saffron is harvested. In Taroudant, visit the leather tanneries and local markets.
Day 7-8 Tafraoute (2B,1L,2D)
Travel into the Anti-Atlas region to Tafraoute where the landscape changes and we view natural rock formations. In the afternoon, visit the town centre and its local markets. On Day 8, continue exploring the region, including Aït Mansour Gorge, the Painted Rocks and the Chapeau du Napoleon. We walk through a palm valley and have lunch in a local village house, then visit a local women's cooperative where beautiful handicrafts are created and argan oil is produced.
Day 9-10 Essaouira (2B,1D)
Travel north and to the Atlantic Coast to the walled port town of Essaouira. Head down to the port to see the fishing fleet unload their catch and discover the local artisans, including the wood workers. Option to take a camel ride on the beach, go sailing or visit a hammam (traditional spa and steam baths).
Days 11 Marrakech (1B,1D)
Return to Marrakech and visit Menara Gardens and the Jardin Majorelle. Enjoy our farewell dinner at a palace-style restaurant with local folklore entertainment.
Day 12 Marrakech (B)
Depart at any time.
After choosing your desired tour, you will need to select a departure date that works for you. You can view all of our dates and prices on any tour page. You may also want to consider the need for a private room during the tour. Please remember to ask for an air quote. It is important however that you do not purchase tickets that carry cancellations penalties until your trip is guaranteed to run.
- Available – Trips marked as available means there are at least 4 spots left on your tour.
- On Request– Less than 4 spaces are left, or we need to contact a local supplier, especially in the case of independent tours.
- Waitlist – There is currently no space available, but you can ask to be contacted if anything opens up.
Guaranteed - We guarantee our tours 60 days before departure. Some popular tours are guaranteed before this date. If your tour indicates it is guaranteed, you can proceed to book your international airfare once you receive your booking confirmation.
Inca Trail Status - For Peru trips that involve hiking the Inca Trail permits often sell out many months in advance. Permits can either be available, on request or sold out. If sold out, then you can either take a different hiking route to Machu Picchu or extend your stay in Cuzco and visit Machu Picchu by train. We recommend the sooner you book your trip the better.
Book your Tour Online
When you decide to “book now” you will proceed to our secure, online booking pages that are encrypted for online purchases. The processing steps are explained below. Essential information comes first. Let us know who you are and whom you are traveling with.
- Add your personal information for our “passenger” section, such as name (as it appears on your passport), email, date of birth and save that information.
- Please advise us of any medical or meal requirements at this time.
- If you are travelling with anyone else, enter their personal information next, and continue doing this for any passengers you are booking and paying for.
- Review our insurance section so that you’re aware of our requirements.
Note: Discovery Adventures can book your insurance for you.
Proceed to the checkout...
- Please refer to your invoice for a recap of the total cost of services and tours you have requested. Once you have confirmed that your booking details are correct, it is time to book.
- “Hold an option,” means you will have 48 hours to decide, without being charged on your credit card. If you do not confirm, we will release your space for someone else.
- On most tours you can “hold an option” with a credit card or “confirm a booking”.
- Confirming a booking means your credit card will be charged the deposit amount of your tour. The following are the amounts: CAD 250, AUD 250, NZD 250, USD 250, GBP 100, EUR 250.
- Note that you will be charged the full tour amount if your booking request is within 60 days of departure.
- Enter your credit card information as requested and submit the booking to complete your transaction!
- It is a good idea to record your Booking Number and ID for future reference.
We'll be in touch!
Upon receipt of your request, our reservations team will prepare your invoices and documents, and review any special requirements for the tour(s) and services you have requested. You will hear from us within 24 hours of your request by email.
- Please note, even if your online booking went through and you’ve received your booking number, a quality control check is required for all bookings before we can advise to book airfare or extra services.
- We will answer any questions you may have, and provide competitive quotes on both insurance and airfare over the phone.
Good things to know before you go on your Discovery Adventures trip.
Our Discovery Adventures Specialists will take care of all the details of your trip, however some travelers enjoy doing a little research on their own to be ahead of the game. Here are some tips and links to get you started.
- Passport: Make sure your passport is valid up to 6 months from your return date.
- Travel Visas - Requirements change frequently and are dependent upon your nationality and your destination. You are responsible for obtaining your own Visas. Check the Plan Your Trip page to determine if a Visa is required for your specific trip.
- Travel Reports: Most governments have websites dedicated to providing the most up-to-date travel information including recent news and background information on every country. Please visit the US State site for information about your destination and international travel
- Arrival and Departure taxes/fees: Check your tour confirmation documents and speak with a Discovery Adventure Specialist if you have any questions.
- Immunizations and travel health issues: Be sure to get the most accurate and up-to-date health information for the region you will be visiting. Check with your general physician or a specialist from your local travel health clinic.
- Good Health Practices: Adjusting to new climates and cultural conditions can cause some minor complications. This guide will help you stay healthy while you travel.
- Travel Insurance: Be sure to acquire the necessary travel insurance before your trip. You will not be allowed to participate without showing proof of adequate coverage.
- Packing Tips: Create your own packing list based on your destination, accommodations, weather and tour activities. Leave jewelery at home and keep makeup to a minimum. Travel size toiletries stored in a waterproof kit are recommended. Pack once…divide it in half and pack again. (Please verify weight and carry on restrictions with your airline carrier.)
- Please note that if you have booked the "My Own Room" option for this tour, you will receive your own single room for all night stops, with the following exceptions: Night 4 Erg Cheggaga Desert Camp.
- ex Marrakech
- Max 15, Avg 10
- Allow USD200-350 for meals not included
- Comfort hotels (10 nts), deluxe desert camp (1 nt)
- Arrival transfer - Welcome gift - Explore Marrakech with an expert local guide - Visit the ancient kasbah Village ofAit Benhaddou - Sahara desert excursion by 4x4 with overnight in a luxury desert camp - Explore the Draa region and visit local historical sites- Visit Tafraoute and its markets - Walk through a Palm Valley with lunch in a local home - Visit a local women's cooperative - Explore Essaouira - Explore Menara Gardens and the Jardin Majorelle - Visit an artisan workshops and markets with demonstrations
- 11 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 8 dinners
- Discovery Adventures guide, local guides
- Private air-con minivan, walking, 4x4.