Malaysia and Borneo Adventure
Asia > Malaysia | 12 days
Trip Code: AAMBD
Meeting the 'old man of the forest' at the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre, Heading into the rainforest in search of exceptional wildlife, Stepping back into history in Melaka’s colourful and historic lanes, Seeking out delicacies in the neighbourhoods and markets of Kuala Lumpur and Singapore.
From the big-city bustle of Kuala Lumpur to the serene tranquility of Borneo’s rainforest, Malaysia is the definition of contrast. Meet the 'old man of the forest'—the orangutan—while exploring the rainforest and get to know the delights of modern-day Kuala Lumpur and Singapore on this 12-day adventure. You’ll explore Melaka’s historic canal-side lanes by bicycle and the lush rainforest along the Kinabatangan River and in the Danum Valley by boat and on foot. Along the way, you’ll come away with a real connection to this enthralling land.
Check out our Trip Details for even more information about this trip.
Day 1 Kuala Lumpur (1D)
Arrive at any time. Arrival transfer and welcome dinner are included.
Day 2-3 Melaka (2B)
Travel to the old port town of Melaka where we take a cyclo tour through the streets and absorb the atmosphere and heritage of this historically important maritime town. We explore the historic sites, local handicraft market and visit the Maritime Museum with the option to visit a spa.
Day 4 Singapore (1B)
Cross the border by bus into Singapore where we take a walking tour through the colonial section of the city.
Day 5 Kota Kinabalu (1B)
This morning we take a walk through Singapore's famed Chinatown before catching our flight to the tropical island of Borneo. We explore Borneo for the next six days with an expert local guide.
Day 6 Mt Kinabalu National Park (1B,1L,1D)
Today we visit a local market and travel to Mt Kinabalu where we enjoy lunch in the park and a visit to the Poring hot springs for a soak. Option to hike trails or traverse the canopy walkway through the lowland rainforest. Overnight at a hillside resort with views of Mount Kinabalu.
Days 7 Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre/Sandakan (1B,1L,1D)
Travel to Sandakan and visit the WWII POW War Memorial and visit Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre. Option to visit the Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Centre.
Days 8 Kinabatangan River (1B,1L,1D)
This morning we visit Gomantong Cave, home to swiftlets and bats before travelling by boat up the Kinabatangan River to our rustic jungle lodge. This afternoon, we take a wildlife cruise in search of monkeys, exotic birds and Borneo pygmy elephants. Optional nighttime jungle walk.
Day 9-10 Danum Valley (2B, 2L, 2D)
Continue by boat and bus to our rainforest lodge in the Danum Valley Forest Reserve. Activities over the next two days include a walk to the Kadazandusun burial site, lectures on local wildlife and ecology, a nighttime wildlife drive in an open jeep, a canopy walk and an evening jungle walk. Option to go river tubing or trekking.
Day 11 Kuala Lumpur (1B)
Flight back to the mainland where we embark on a guided tour of the city's sights, giving you great insight into the capital. We also visit the Batu caves. Option to visit the Petronas Towers or the night market.
Day 12 Kuala Lumpur (B)
Depart at any time.
After choosing your desired tour, you will need to select a departure date that works for you. You can view all of our dates and prices on any tour page. You may also want to consider the need for a private room during the tour. Please remember to ask for an air quote. It is important however that you do not purchase tickets that carry cancellations penalties until your trip is guaranteed to run.
- Available – Trips marked as available means there are at least 4 spots left on your tour.
- On Request– Less than 4 spaces are left, or we need to contact a local supplier, especially in the case of independent tours.
- Waitlist – There is currently no space available, but you can ask to be contacted if anything opens up.
Guaranteed - We guarantee our tours 60 days before departure. Some popular tours are guaranteed before this date. If your tour indicates it is guaranteed, you can proceed to book your international airfare once you receive your booking confirmation.
Inca Trail Status - For Peru trips that involve hiking the Inca Trail permits often sell out many months in advance. Permits can either be available, on request or sold out. If sold out, then you can either take a different hiking route to Machu Picchu or extend your stay in Cuzco and visit Machu Picchu by train. We recommend the sooner you book your trip the better.
Book your Tour Online
When you decide to “book now” you will proceed to our secure, online booking pages that are encrypted for online purchases. The processing steps are explained below. Essential information comes first. Let us know who you are and whom you are traveling with.
- Add your personal information for our “passenger” section, such as name (as it appears on your passport), email, date of birth and save that information.
- Please advise us of any medical or meal requirements at this time.
- If you are travelling with anyone else, enter their personal information next, and continue doing this for any passengers you are booking and paying for.
- Review our insurance section so that you’re aware of our requirements.
Note: Discovery Adventures can book your insurance for you.
Proceed to the checkout...
- Please refer to your invoice for a recap of the total cost of services and tours you have requested. Once you have confirmed that your booking details are correct, it is time to book.
- “Hold an option,” means you will have 48 hours to decide, without being charged on your credit card. If you do not confirm, we will release your space for someone else.
- On most tours you can “hold an option” with a credit card or “confirm a booking”.
- Confirming a booking means your credit card will be charged the deposit amount of your tour. The following are the amounts: CAD 250, AUD 250, NZD 250, USD 250, GBP 100, EUR 250.
- Note that you will be charged the full tour amount if your booking request is within 60 days of departure.
- Enter your credit card information as requested and submit the booking to complete your transaction!
- It is a good idea to record your Booking Number and ID for future reference.
We'll be in touch!
Upon receipt of your request, our reservations team will prepare your invoices and documents, and review any special requirements for the tour(s) and services you have requested. You will hear from us within 24 hours of your request by email.
- Please note, even if your online booking went through and you’ve received your booking number, a quality control check is required for all bookings before we can advise to book airfare or extra services.
- We will answer any questions you may have, and provide competitive quotes on both insurance and airfare over the phone.
Good things to know before you go on your Discovery Adventures trip.
Our Discovery Adventures Specialists will take care of all the details of your trip, however some travelers enjoy doing a little research on their own to be ahead of the game. Here are some tips and links to get you started.
- Passport: Make sure your passport is valid up to 6 months from your return date.
- Travel Visas - Requirements change frequently and are dependent upon your nationality and your destination. You are responsible for obtaining your own Visas. Check the Plan Your Trip page to determine if a Visa is required for your specific trip.
- Travel Reports: Most governments have websites dedicated to providing the most up-to-date travel information including recent news and background information on every country. Please visit the US State site for information about your destination and international travel
- Arrival and Departure taxes/fees: Check your tour confirmation documents and speak with a Discovery Adventure Specialist if you have any questions.
- Immunizations and travel health issues: Be sure to get the most accurate and up-to-date health information for the region you will be visiting. Check with your general physician or a specialist from your local travel health clinic.
- Good Health Practices: Adjusting to new climates and cultural conditions can cause some minor complications. This guide will help you stay healthy while you travel.
- Travel Insurance: Be sure to acquire the necessary travel insurance before your trip. You will not be allowed to participate without showing proof of adequate coverage.
- Packing Tips: Create your own packing list based on your destination, accommodations, weather and tour activities. Leave jewelery at home and keep makeup to a minimum. Travel size toiletries stored in a waterproof kit are recommended. Pack once…divide it in half and pack again. (Please verify weight and carry on restrictions with your airline carrier.)
- ex Kuala Lampur
- Please note that if you have booked the "My Own Room" option for this tour, you will receive your own single room for all night stops.
- Arrival transfer - Welcome gift - Take a cyclo-ride and visit historic sites and the Maritime Museum in Melaka - Walking tour of Colonial Singapore and Chinatown - Visit Mt Kinabalu National Park and the Poring hot springs - Visit the Sandakan WW2 POW War Memorial and Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre - Explore Gomantong Cave - Kinabatangang River wildlife viewing by boat - Explore the Danum Valley Forest Reserve including visiting a Kadazandusun burial site, lectures on local wildlife and ecology, a nighttime wildlife drive in open jeep, a canopy walk and a evening jungle walk - Tour Kuala Lampur and visit the Batu caves.
- Minibus, cyclo, jeep, local bus, taxi, boat, plane, walking.
- Comfort hotels (8 nts), jungle lodge (3 nts).
- Allow USD350-400 for meals not included.
- 11 Breakfasts, 5 Lunches, 6 Dinners.
- Discovery Adventures guide throughout, local guide in Borneo.
- Max 16, Avg 12