Indochina Cultural Journey
Asia > Thailand | 15 days
Trip Code: ATICD
Partaking in a cooking class and learning how to make your favourite Thai dishes, Visiting Buddhist temples and observing the daily life of monks, Learning about Cambodian history both ancient and recent, Experiencing the vibrancy of Ho Chi Minh City on a thrilling cyclo ride.
There’s a magic about South East Asia that casts a spell on many who visit this exotic region. Explore the cultural best of Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Encounter history, both ancient and modern, and witness the unbelievable splendour of Angkor Wat. From the natural beauty of Halong Bay and Chiang Mai’s temples to khantoke dinners and Khmer lunches, our expert guides will share the natural, historical and cultural beauty that has persisted in this region. More than a tour—this is an adventure of discovery.
Check out our Trip Details for even more information about this trip.
Day 1 Bangkok
Arrive at any time. An arrival transfer is included.
Day 2 Bangkok (1B)
Enjoy an introductory Thai language lesson then take a boat along the klongs to visit the Grand Palace and sacred emerald Buddha at Wat Phra Kaew temple. Overnight train to Chiang Mai.
Day 3 Chiang Mai (1B,1D)
Visit the Doi Suthep Buddhist temple and have the chance to listen to monks chanting. Enjoy a khantoke dinner of local specialities with traditional music and dance. Option to visit the elephant conservation centre or visit local handicraft workshops.
Day 4 Chiang Mai (1B,1L)
Under the guidance of a local chef we take a Thai cooking class and enjoy our creations for lunch. Later relax with a traditional Thai massage and visit the bustling Chiang Mai night market. Option for shopping.
Day 5 Siem Reap (1B)
Flight to Siem Reap, Cambodia. Option to visit the exciting night market.
Days 6-7 Angkor Wat/ Siem Reap (2B,1L)
Spend two days touring the Angkor Wat temple complex with a local expert guide. Enjoy a Khmer lunch at New Hope, a local school and Planeterra-supported project. Option to visit Angkor national museum and Tonle Sap floating village.
Day 8 Phnom Penh (1B)
Drive to Phnom Penh and explore recent history with a local expert visiting the Tuol Sleng Prison museum and the Choeung Ek (Killing Fields). Option to take a cyclo city tour and visit the Foreign Correspondents Club for drinks.
Days 9-10 Ho Chi Minh City (2B)
Flight to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam where we take a thrilling cyclo tour of the bustling city. On Day 10, a local expert takes us back in history to the Cu Chi tunnels, legendary for the vital part they played during the Vietnam War.
Day 11 Hanoi (1B)
Flight to Hanoi. With a local guide, we visit the Old Quarter for an orientation walk and water puppet show.
Day 12 Halong Bay (1B,1L,1D)
Visit Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum and Halong Bay on an overnight cruise in a traditional junk boat with our local guide. Explore some of the limestone caves dotted around the bay and enjoy a sumptuous seafood dinner.
Day 13 Halong Bay/Hanoi (1B,1L)
Morning cruise around Halong Bay before transfer back to Hanoi. Option to visit local shops, markets and museums in Hanoi.
Day 14 Bangkok (1B,1D)
Flight to Bangkok, and farewell dinner at the Baiyok Tower high-rise restaurant overlooking the city.
Day 15 Bangkok (1B)
Depart at any time.
After choosing your desired tour, you will need to select a departure date that works for you. You can view all of our dates and prices on any tour page. You may also want to consider the need for a private room during the tour. Please remember to ask for an air quote. It is important however that you do not purchase tickets that carry cancellations penalties until your trip is guaranteed to run.
- Available – Trips marked as available means there are at least 4 spots left on your tour.
- On Request– Less than 4 spaces are left, or we need to contact a local supplier, especially in the case of independent tours.
- Waitlist – There is currently no space available, but you can ask to be contacted if anything opens up.
Guaranteed - We guarantee our tours 60 days before departure. Some popular tours are guaranteed before this date. If your tour indicates it is guaranteed, you can proceed to book your international airfare once you receive your booking confirmation.
Inca Trail Status - For Peru trips that involve hiking the Inca Trail permits often sell out many months in advance. Permits can either be available, on request or sold out. If sold out, then you can either take a different hiking route to Machu Picchu or extend your stay in Cuzco and visit Machu Picchu by train. We recommend the sooner you book your trip the better.
Book your Tour Online
When you decide to “book now” you will proceed to our secure, online booking pages that are encrypted for online purchases. The processing steps are explained below. Essential information comes first. Let us know who you are and whom you are traveling with.
- Add your personal information for our “passenger” section, such as name (as it appears on your passport), email, date of birth and save that information.
- Please advise us of any medical or meal requirements at this time.
- If you are travelling with anyone else, enter their personal information next, and continue doing this for any passengers you are booking and paying for.
- Review our insurance section so that you’re aware of our requirements.
Note: Discovery Adventures can book your insurance for you.
Proceed to the checkout...
- Please refer to your invoice for a recap of the total cost of services and tours you have requested. Once you have confirmed that your booking details are correct, it is time to book.
- “Hold an option,” means you will have 48 hours to decide, without being charged on your credit card. If you do not confirm, we will release your space for someone else.
- On most tours you can “hold an option” with a credit card or “confirm a booking”.
- Confirming a booking means your credit card will be charged the deposit amount of your tour. The following are the amounts: CAD 250, AUD 250, NZD 250, USD 250, GBP 100, EUR 250.
- Note that you will be charged the full tour amount if your booking request is within 60 days of departure.
- Enter your credit card information as requested and submit the booking to complete your transaction!
- It is a good idea to record your Booking Number and ID for future reference.
We'll be in touch!
Upon receipt of your request, our reservations team will prepare your invoices and documents, and review any special requirements for the tour(s) and services you have requested. You will hear from us within 24 hours of your request by email.
- Please note, even if your online booking went through and you’ve received your booking number, a quality control check is required for all bookings before we can advise to book airfare or extra services.
- We will answer any questions you may have, and provide competitive quotes on both insurance and airfare over the phone.
Good things to know before you go on your Discovery Adventures trip.
Our Discovery Adventures Specialists will take care of all the details of your trip, however some travelers enjoy doing a little research on their own to be ahead of the game. Here are some tips and links to get you started.
- Passport: Make sure your passport is valid up to 6 months from your return date.
- Travel Visas - Requirements change frequently and are dependent upon your nationality and your destination. You are responsible for obtaining your own Visas. Check the Plan Your Trip page to determine if a Visa is required for your specific trip.
- Travel Reports: Most governments have websites dedicated to providing the most up-to-date travel information including recent news and background information on every country. Please visit the US State site for information about your destination and international travel
- Arrival and Departure taxes/fees: Check your tour confirmation documents and speak with a Discovery Adventure Specialist if you have any questions.
- Immunizations and travel health issues: Be sure to get the most accurate and up-to-date health information for the region you will be visiting. Check with your general physician or a specialist from your local travel health clinic.
- Good Health Practices: Adjusting to new climates and cultural conditions can cause some minor complications. This guide will help you stay healthy while you travel.
- Travel Insurance: Be sure to acquire the necessary travel insurance before your trip. You will not be allowed to participate without showing proof of adequate coverage.
- Packing Tips: Create your own packing list based on your destination, accommodations, weather and tour activities. Leave jewelery at home and keep makeup to a minimum. Travel size toiletries stored in a waterproof kit are recommended. Pack once…divide it in half and pack again. (Please verify weight and carry on restrictions with your airline carrier.)
- Please note that if you have booked the "My Own Room" option for this tour, you will receive your own single room for all night stops on tour, with the following exceptions: Night 2, Sleeper train.
- ex Bangkok
- Max 16, Avg 10
- Comfort hotels (12 nts), sleeper train (1 nt), junk boat (1 nt).
- Private bus, boat, train, tuk tuk, plane, cyclo, traditional junk boat, walking
- 14 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners.
- Discovery Adventures guide, local guides
- Allow USD200-250 for meals not included.
- Arrival transfer - Welcome gift - Introductory language lesson - Boat tour of the Klong canals - Tour of the Grand Palace - Visit the Doi Suthep Buddhist Temple - Kantoke dinner with traditional food, music and dance - Thai cooking classes - Traditional Thai massage - Visit to Chiang Mai night market - Guided tour of Angkor Wat temple complex - Visit and lunch at New Hope, Planeterra supported project - Tour of Tuol Sleng Prison Museum and the Choeung Ek memorial (the Killing Fields) - Ho Chi Minh City cyclo tour - Tour of the Cu Chi tunnels - Hanoi City Tour and water puppet show - Halong Bay traditional boat trip with entrance to Halong Bay caves- Farewell dinner at the Baiyok Tower