Historic Parks of the American Southwest
North America > United States | 12 days
Trip Code: NUSWD
Exploring breathtaking national parks and monuments, Experiencing the ruins of Mesa Verde and ancient cliff dwellings, Traversing Monument Valley by 4x4 with an expert Navajo guide.
You’re always looking to get to the bottom of things—and there’s no better way to see the Grand Canyon than by staring up at it from deep within its heart. Welcome to a place where everything’s larger than life—big sky, big ruins and grand canyons. Whether by 4x4 or on foot, our handpicked tour guides will connect you to the vast expanses of the American Southwest. From cliff-top panoramas to the culture and legacy of Native American traditions, this region is sure to leave a sizeable impression.
Check out our Trip Details for even more information about this trip.
Day 1 Las Vegas
Arrive at any time.
Day 2 Zion National Park (1B,1L)
Transfer to Zion National Park with its variety of trails for hikers and outdoor enthusiasts. We spend the next two days on various day hikes and explorations through the Park.
Day 3 Zion National Park (1B,1L)
We spend the day exploring the great outdoors hiking the Zion Canyon area.
Day 4 Bryce Canyon National Park (1B,1L)
Transfer to Bryce Canyon where we explore the fascinating hoodoos and learn about the captivating history of the area.
Day 5 Canyonlands/Moab (1B,1L)
Scenic drive through the Escalante Staircase area arriving in Canyonlands Park later in the afternoon for a hike.
Day 6 Arches National Park (1B,1L)
Today we spend the day in Arches National Park, hiking to various viewpoints and observing the red sandstone arches that highlight the area.
Day 7 Mesa Verde (1B,1L)
We explore Mesa Verde National Park which contains the largest and most important archaeological preserve of Native American culture and ancient cliff-side cities in the US.
Day 8 Monument Valley (1B,1L)
Embark on a ranger-guided visit of the Mesa Verde area. Continue on to Monument Valley which lies entirely within the Navajo Reservation. Here we explore in 4X4 vehicles with a local Navajo guide and visit local artisan shops.
Day 9 Betatakin/Grand Canyon National Park (1B)
Today we visit the Navajo National Monument and take a park ranger guided hike of the Betatakin (Bitát'ahkin in Navajo) cliff dwellings. Later we enjoy a sunset view of the Grand Canyon.
Day 10 Grand Canyon National Park (1B,1L)
Day hike to the heart of Grand Canyon National Park at Indian Garden and the Plateau Point Trail. Option to take a helicopter flight.
Day 11 Las Vegas
Travel to Las Vegas, option to explore the city.
Day 12 Las Vegas
Depart at any time.
After choosing your desired tour, you will need to select a departure date that works for you. You can view all of our dates and prices on any tour page. You may also want to consider the need for a private room during the tour. Please remember to ask for an air quote. It is important however that you do not purchase tickets that carry cancellations penalties until your trip is guaranteed to run.
- Available – Trips marked as available means there are at least 4 spots left on your tour.
- On Request– Less than 4 spaces are left, or we need to contact a local supplier, especially in the case of independent tours.
- Waitlist – There is currently no space available, but you can ask to be contacted if anything opens up.
Guaranteed - We guarantee our tours 60 days before departure. Some popular tours are guaranteed before this date. If your tour indicates it is guaranteed, you can proceed to book your international airfare once you receive your booking confirmation.
Inca Trail Status - For Peru trips that involve hiking the Inca Trail permits often sell out many months in advance. Permits can either be available, on request or sold out. If sold out, then you can either take a different hiking route to Machu Picchu or extend your stay in Cuzco and visit Machu Picchu by train. We recommend the sooner you book your trip the better.
Book your Tour Online
When you decide to “book now” you will proceed to our secure, online booking pages that are encrypted for online purchases. The processing steps are explained below. Essential information comes first. Let us know who you are and whom you are traveling with.
- Add your personal information for our “passenger” section, such as name (as it appears on your passport), email, date of birth and save that information.
- Please advise us of any medical or meal requirements at this time.
- If you are travelling with anyone else, enter their personal information next, and continue doing this for any passengers you are booking and paying for.
- Review our insurance section so that you’re aware of our requirements.
Note: Discovery Adventures can book your insurance for you.
Proceed to the checkout...
- Please refer to your invoice for a recap of the total cost of services and tours you have requested. Once you have confirmed that your booking details are correct, it is time to book.
- “Hold an option,” means you will have 48 hours to decide, without being charged on your credit card. If you do not confirm, we will release your space for someone else.
- On most tours you can “hold an option” with a credit card or “confirm a booking”.
- Confirming a booking means your credit card will be charged the deposit amount of your tour. The following are the amounts: CAD 250, AUD 250, NZD 250, USD 250, GBP 100, EUR 250.
- Note that you will be charged the full tour amount if your booking request is within 60 days of departure.
- Enter your credit card information as requested and submit the booking to complete your transaction!
- It is a good idea to record your Booking Number and ID for future reference.
We'll be in touch!
Upon receipt of your request, our reservations team will prepare your invoices and documents, and review any special requirements for the tour(s) and services you have requested. You will hear from us within 24 hours of your request by email.
- Please note, even if your online booking went through and you’ve received your booking number, a quality control check is required for all bookings before we can advise to book airfare or extra services.
- We will answer any questions you may have, and provide competitive quotes on both insurance and airfare over the phone.
Good things to know before you go on your Discovery Adventures trip.
Our Discovery Adventures Specialists will take care of all the details of your trip, however some travelers enjoy doing a little research on their own to be ahead of the game. Here are some tips and links to get you started.
- Passport: Make sure your passport is valid up to 6 months from your return date.
- Travel Visas - Requirements change frequently and are dependent upon your nationality and your destination. You are responsible for obtaining your own Visas. Check the Plan Your Trip page to determine if a Visa is required for your specific trip.
- Travel Reports: Most governments have websites dedicated to providing the most up-to-date travel information including recent news and background information on every country. Please visit the US State site for information about your destination and international travel
- Arrival and Departure taxes/fees: Check your tour confirmation documents and speak with a Discovery Adventure Specialist if you have any questions.
- Immunizations and travel health issues: Be sure to get the most accurate and up-to-date health information for the region you will be visiting. Check with your general physician or a specialist from your local travel health clinic.
- Good Health Practices: Adjusting to new climates and cultural conditions can cause some minor complications. This guide will help you stay healthy while you travel.
- Travel Insurance: Be sure to acquire the necessary travel insurance before your trip. You will not be allowed to participate without showing proof of adequate coverage.
- Packing Tips: Create your own packing list based on your destination, accommodations, weather and tour activities. Leave jewelery at home and keep makeup to a minimum. Travel size toiletries stored in a waterproof kit are recommended. Pack once…divide it in half and pack again. (Please verify weight and carry on restrictions with your airline carrier.)
- ex Las Vegas
- Please note that if you have booked the "My Own Room" option for this tour, you will receive your own single room for all night stops on tour.
- Van, minibus, 4X4 vehicles, walking
- 9 Breakfasts, 8 Lunches
- Discovery Adventures guide, local guides
- Allow USD285-375 for meals not included.
- Entrance fees to all National Parks with hiking and walking excursions - Ranger guided tour of the Mesa Verde ruins - Navajo guide and tour by 4x4 vehicle in Monument Valley - Ranger guided hike of the Navajo National Monument including Betatakin cliff dwellings
- Comfort hotels/motels (11 nts)
- Max 12, Avg 8