China & Tibet Cultural Journey
Asia > China | 15 days
Trip Code: ACCTD
Trying your hand at Chinese calligraphy with the help of a local expert, Pondering Tibetan spirituality on visits to Buddhist temples and monasteries, Observing pandas at a breeding centre in the mountains of Sichuan, Cruising along the mighty Yangtze River.
While retracing the footsteps of ancient warriors along the Great Wall you realize you’re onto something. You want to get into the heart of the Middle Kingdom and our guides will take you ‘over the wall’. Handpicked for their expertise, they’ll bring you deep into China and walk backward in time with you to Tibet where you’ll reconnect with ancient ways long forgotten by the modern world. From Sichuan Opera to calligraphy classes in Xi’an, you won’t just experience China’s arts and culture, you’ll become a part of it.
Check out our Trip Details for even more information about this trip.
Day 1 Beijing (1D)
Arrive at any time. Arrival transfer is included. Enjoy our first taste of Chinese cuisine with a Beijing Duck welcome dinner.
Day 2 Beijing (1B,1L)
Visit and walk the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall of China. We also have an introductory language lesson.
Day 3 Beijing (1B,1L)
Tour of the famed Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven with free time in the afternoon for shopping. Board our overnight sleeper train to Xi'an.
Day 4 Xi'an (1L)
Guided walk of Xi'an's city walls and tour of the Big Goose Pagoda. Have a demonstration of the basics of Chinese calligraphy and painting with a local expert. Evening visit to the Muslim Quarter and local street markets.
Day 5 Xi'an (1B,1D)
Visit and learn about the Terracotta Warriors and enjoy a Tang Dynasty dinner show.
Day 6 Lhasa (1B)
Fly over the Himalayas to Tibet. Orientation walk through Barkhor Square.
Days 7-8 Lhasa (2B,1L)
With our expert local guide we learn more about Tibetan spirituality with a visit to the Potala Palace, the sacred Jokhang Temple and the Sera Monastery. Optional hike, monastery visits and shopping.
Day 9 Chengdu (1B,1D)
Fly to Chengdu. Attend a Sichuan opera and cultural show and sample Sichuan cuisine for dinner this evening.
Day 10 Chongqing (1B)
Visit the Panda Breeding Center to learn about and observe these gentle animals then board our riverboat for our first night onboard.
Day 11-12 Yangtze River Boat (2B,2L,2D)
Cruise the Yangtze River with daily shore excursions which can include: Fengdu, Shibaozhai or Wanzhou, sail through Qutang Gorge/Wu Gorge, Daning River Small Gorges or Shennong Stream, sail through Three Gorges dam shiplocks and optional excursion to White Emperor City (all depending on the season and river conditions).
Days 13-14 Shanghai (2B,1D)
Tour of Three Gorges Dam before flying to Shanghai. Take an orientation walk along the Shanghai Bund and enjoy an acrobats show. Option to visit museums or shopping.
Day 15 Shanghai (1B)
Depart at any time.
After choosing your desired tour, you will need to select a departure date that works for you. You can view all of our dates and prices on any tour page. You may also want to consider the need for a private room during the tour. Please remember to ask for an air quote. It is important however that you do not purchase tickets that carry cancellations penalties until your trip is guaranteed to run.
- Available – Trips marked as available means there are at least 4 spots left on your tour.
- On Request– Less than 4 spaces are left, or we need to contact a local supplier, especially in the case of independent tours.
- Waitlist – There is currently no space available, but you can ask to be contacted if anything opens up.
Guaranteed - We guarantee our tours 60 days before departure. Some popular tours are guaranteed before this date. If your tour indicates it is guaranteed, you can proceed to book your international airfare once you receive your booking confirmation.
Inca Trail Status - For Peru trips that involve hiking the Inca Trail permits often sell out many months in advance. Permits can either be available, on request or sold out. If sold out, then you can either take a different hiking route to Machu Picchu or extend your stay in Cuzco and visit Machu Picchu by train. We recommend the sooner you book your trip the better.
Book your Tour Online
When you decide to “book now” you will proceed to our secure, online booking pages that are encrypted for online purchases. The processing steps are explained below. Essential information comes first. Let us know who you are and whom you are traveling with.
- Add your personal information for our “passenger” section, such as name (as it appears on your passport), email, date of birth and save that information.
- Please advise us of any medical or meal requirements at this time.
- If you are travelling with anyone else, enter their personal information next, and continue doing this for any passengers you are booking and paying for.
- Review our insurance section so that you’re aware of our requirements.
Note: Discovery Adventures can book your insurance for you.
Proceed to the checkout...
- Please refer to your invoice for a recap of the total cost of services and tours you have requested. Once you have confirmed that your booking details are correct, it is time to book.
- “Hold an option,” means you will have 48 hours to decide, without being charged on your credit card. If you do not confirm, we will release your space for someone else.
- On most tours you can “hold an option” with a credit card or “confirm a booking”.
- Confirming a booking means your credit card will be charged the deposit amount of your tour. The following are the amounts: CAD 250, AUD 250, NZD 250, USD 250, GBP 100, EUR 250.
- Note that you will be charged the full tour amount if your booking request is within 60 days of departure.
- Enter your credit card information as requested and submit the booking to complete your transaction!
- It is a good idea to record your Booking Number and ID for future reference.
We'll be in touch!
Upon receipt of your request, our reservations team will prepare your invoices and documents, and review any special requirements for the tour(s) and services you have requested. You will hear from us within 24 hours of your request by email.
- Please note, even if your online booking went through and you’ve received your booking number, a quality control check is required for all bookings before we can advise to book airfare or extra services.
- We will answer any questions you may have, and provide competitive quotes on both insurance and airfare over the phone.
Good things to know before you go on your Discovery Adventures trip.
Our Discovery Adventures Specialists will take care of all the details of your trip, however some travelers enjoy doing a little research on their own to be ahead of the game. Here are some tips and links to get you started.
- Passport: Make sure your passport is valid up to 6 months from your return date.
- Travel Visas - Requirements change frequently and are dependent upon your nationality and your destination. You are responsible for obtaining your own Visas. Check the Plan Your Trip page to determine if a Visa is required for your specific trip.
- Travel Reports: Most governments have websites dedicated to providing the most up-to-date travel information including recent news and background information on every country. Please visit the US State site for information about your destination and international travel
- Arrival and Departure taxes/fees: Check your tour confirmation documents and speak with a Discovery Adventure Specialist if you have any questions.
- Immunizations and travel health issues: Be sure to get the most accurate and up-to-date health information for the region you will be visiting. Check with your general physician or a specialist from your local travel health clinic.
- Good Health Practices: Adjusting to new climates and cultural conditions can cause some minor complications. This guide will help you stay healthy while you travel.
- Travel Insurance: Be sure to acquire the necessary travel insurance before your trip. You will not be allowed to participate without showing proof of adequate coverage.
- Packing Tips: Create your own packing list based on your destination, accommodations, weather and tour activities. Leave jewelery at home and keep makeup to a minimum. Travel size toiletries stored in a waterproof kit are recommended. Pack once…divide it in half and pack again. (Please verify weight and carry on restrictions with your airline carrier.)
- Beijing to Shanghai
- 13 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 6 dinners
- Please note that if you have booked the "My Own Room" option for this tour, you will receive your own single room for all night stops, with the following exceptions: Night 3, Sleeper Train
- Allow USD225-400 for meals not included.
- Train, minibus, cruise boat, small canal boat, ferry, plane, walking.
- Max 15, Avg 10
- English-speaking Chinese Discovery Adventures guide, local guides
- Arrival transfer - Welcome gift - Visit to the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall with lunch - Introductory language lesson - Tour of Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven - Guided walk of Xian city wall and tour of Big Goose Pagoda - Demonstration of Chinese calligraphy with a local expert - Walking tour of Muslim Quarter and street markets - Tour of the Terracotta Warriors - Tang Dynasty Dinner show - Tour of Jokhang Temple and Barkhor walk - Tour of Potala Palace and Sera Monastery - Sichuan Opera show - Tour of Panda Breeding Center - Yangtze River excursions including Fengdu Temple, and the Lesser Three Gorges or Shennon Stream (depending on the season) - Orientation walk along the Shanghai Bund - Shanghai Acrobats show
- Comfort hotels (10 nts), soft-sleeper overnight train (1 nt), Yangtze riverboat (3 nts).