Archaeological Wonders of Egypt & Jordan
North Africa / Middle East > Egypt | 16 days
Trip Code: DPAWD
Visiting ancient temples and archaeological sites with a local Egyptologist guide, Digging deeper into Jordan's famed historical sites, Exploring local cultures, Tasting local delicacies and learning to make them for yourself, Embracing the desert overnight in a tented camp.
It took archaeologist Howard Carter eight years of sweat and frustration to find the tomb of Tutankhamun. We doubt you’ll have nearly as much trouble. On this unforgettable voyage through the archaeological and natural marvels of the Ancient World, you’ll visit Egyptian temples and pyramids, walk the valleys of Petra, explore the magnificent Wadi Rum via 4x4 while travelling and sleeping in pure comfort. You don’t have to be of royal descent to appreciate the Valley of the Kings, but after 16 days with us, you’ll feel like one.
Check out our Trip Details for even more information about this trip.
Day 1 Cairo
Arrive at any time. Included transfer to hotel.
Day 2 Cairo (1B)
Explore the Pyramids of Giza, Sakkara and Dahshur, entrance into Khafre Pyramid and visit to the Sphinx. Option to take a camel ride in Giza.
Day 3 Aswan (1B,1D)
Flight to Aswan where we enjoy a felucca ride on the Nile, visit to a Nubian village and enjoy dinner with a local family.
Day 4 Abu Simbel/Aswan (1B)
Flight to and guided tour of Abu Simbel, tour of the High Dam, Philae Temple and unfinished obelisk quarry.
Day 5 Luxor (1B)
Travel to Luxor with visits to the Kom Ombo and Edfu temples.
Day 6 Luxor (1B,1D)
Walking tour of Karnak and Luxor temples and visit to the Mummification Museum. Enjoy dinner in a local family's home.
Day 7 Valley of the Kings/Cairo (1B)
Tour of the Valley of the Kings with visits to some tombs and observe local archaeologists at work. Visit the Hatshepsut Temple and Colossi of Memnon. Option to visit the Tomb of Tutankhamun. Flight to Cairo.
Day 8 Cairo (1B,1L)
Tour the Egyptian Museum including the Tutankhamun exhibit with the option to visit the mummy room. Enjoy a kushari lunch in a local restaurant, and take an orientation walk of Khan el-Khalili bazaar.
Day 9 Cairo/Amman (1B)
Today, fly from Cairo to Amman, Jordan.
Day 10 Jerash/The Dead Sea (1B,1D)
Guided visit to the ancient Roman town of Jerash, and visit the Dead Sea with options for swimming and spa treatments.
Day 11 Mount Nebo/Madaba/Wadi Musa (1B)
Marvel at the incredible Madaba mosaics, view Israel from the summit of Mount Nebo and visit the desert crusader castle at Karak.
Days 12-13 Petra (2B,1D)
Guided tour of Petra and plenty of free time to explore. Cooking demonstration and dinner of local dishes.
Day 14 Wadi Rum (1B,1L,1D)
Visit to 'Little Petra', then explore the desert at Wadi Rum with a 4x4 jeep excursion, local Bedouin lunch and dinner and overnight in a tented camp.
Day 15 Amman (1B,1D)
Return to Amman and enjoy an afternoon city tour followed by an included final night dinner at a local restaurant.
Day 16 Amman (1B)
Depart at any time.
After choosing your desired tour, you will need to select a departure date that works for you. You can view all of our dates and prices on any tour page. You may also want to consider the need for a private room during the tour. Please remember to ask for an air quote. It is important however that you do not purchase tickets that carry cancellations penalties until your trip is guaranteed to run.
- Available – Trips marked as available means there are at least 4 spots left on your tour.
- On Request– Less than 4 spaces are left, or we need to contact a local supplier, especially in the case of independent tours.
- Waitlist – There is currently no space available, but you can ask to be contacted if anything opens up.
Guaranteed - We guarantee our tours 60 days before departure. Some popular tours are guaranteed before this date. If your tour indicates it is guaranteed, you can proceed to book your international airfare once you receive your booking confirmation.
Inca Trail Status - For Peru trips that involve hiking the Inca Trail permits often sell out many months in advance. Permits can either be available, on request or sold out. If sold out, then you can either take a different hiking route to Machu Picchu or extend your stay in Cuzco and visit Machu Picchu by train. We recommend the sooner you book your trip the better.
Book your Tour Online
When you decide to “book now” you will proceed to our secure, online booking pages that are encrypted for online purchases. The processing steps are explained below. Essential information comes first. Let us know who you are and whom you are traveling with.
- Add your personal information for our “passenger” section, such as name (as it appears on your passport), email, date of birth and save that information.
- Please advise us of any medical or meal requirements at this time.
- If you are travelling with anyone else, enter their personal information next, and continue doing this for any passengers you are booking and paying for.
- Review our insurance section so that you’re aware of our requirements.
Note: Discovery Adventures can book your insurance for you.
Proceed to the checkout...
- Please refer to your invoice for a recap of the total cost of services and tours you have requested. Once you have confirmed that your booking details are correct, it is time to book.
- “Hold an option,” means you will have 48 hours to decide, without being charged on your credit card. If you do not confirm, we will release your space for someone else.
- On most tours you can “hold an option” with a credit card or “confirm a booking”.
- Confirming a booking means your credit card will be charged the deposit amount of your tour. The following are the amounts: CAD 250, AUD 250, NZD 250, USD 250, GBP 100, EUR 250.
- Note that you will be charged the full tour amount if your booking request is within 60 days of departure.
- Enter your credit card information as requested and submit the booking to complete your transaction!
- It is a good idea to record your Booking Number and ID for future reference.
We'll be in touch!
Upon receipt of your request, our reservations team will prepare your invoices and documents, and review any special requirements for the tour(s) and services you have requested. You will hear from us within 24 hours of your request by email.
- Please note, even if your online booking went through and you’ve received your booking number, a quality control check is required for all bookings before we can advise to book airfare or extra services.
- We will answer any questions you may have, and provide competitive quotes on both insurance and airfare over the phone.
Good things to know before you go on your Discovery Adventures trip.
Our Discovery Adventures Specialists will take care of all the details of your trip, however some travelers enjoy doing a little research on their own to be ahead of the game. Here are some tips and links to get you started.
- Passport: Make sure your passport is valid up to 6 months from your return date.
- Travel Visas - Requirements change frequently and are dependent upon your nationality and your destination. You are responsible for obtaining your own Visas. Check the Plan Your Trip page to determine if a Visa is required for your specific trip.
- Travel Reports: Most governments have websites dedicated to providing the most up-to-date travel information including recent news and background information on every country. Please visit the US State site for information about your destination and international travel
- Arrival and Departure taxes/fees: Check your tour confirmation documents and speak with a Discovery Adventure Specialist if you have any questions.
- Immunizations and travel health issues: Be sure to get the most accurate and up-to-date health information for the region you will be visiting. Check with your general physician or a specialist from your local travel health clinic.
- Good Health Practices: Adjusting to new climates and cultural conditions can cause some minor complications. This guide will help you stay healthy while you travel.
- Travel Insurance: Be sure to acquire the necessary travel insurance before your trip. You will not be allowed to participate without showing proof of adequate coverage.
- Packing Tips: Create your own packing list based on your destination, accommodations, weather and tour activities. Leave jewelery at home and keep makeup to a minimum. Travel size toiletries stored in a waterproof kit are recommended. Pack once…divide it in half and pack again. (Please verify weight and carry on restrictions with your airline carrier.)
- Please note that if you have booked the "My Own Room" option for this tour, you will receive your own single room for all night stops.
- Cairo to Amman
- Arrival transfer - Welcome gift - Tour the Pyramids of Giza, Sakkara and Dahshur - Entrance into Khafre pyramid - Visit to the Sphinx - Felucca ride on the Nile - Visit to a Nubian village and dinner with a local family - Tour of Abu Simbel with flight - Tour of the High Dam, Philae Temple and Unfinished Obelisk quarry - Tour of Kom Ombo and Edfu Temples - Walking tour of Karnak and Luxor Temples and visit to the Mummification museum - Tour of the Valley of the Kings and Hatshepsut Temple - Visit the Colossi of Memnon - Tour the Egyptian Museum - Walking tour of Khan El Khalili Bazaar - Flight Cairo to Amman - Entrance and guided visit to Jerash- Entrance to the Dead Sea - Entrance and guided visit to the Madaba mosaics - Admission to Mount Nebo - Guided visit to Kerak Castle - Petra 2 day entrance and one day guided tour - Cooking demonstration and dinner of local dishes - Visit Little Petra - Wadi Rum 4x4 jeep excursion and local lunch and dinner - Amman city tour including entrance to the Citadel and Roman amphitheatre.
- Discovery Adventures guides throughout
- Comfort hotels (14 nts), comfort desert camp (1 nt).
- Allow USD200-275 for meals not included
- Max 16, avg 10
- 15 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 6 dinners
- Van, minibus, plane, felucca, walking, 4x4