Archaeological Wonders of Peru
South America > Peru | 15 days
Trip Code: SPAWD
Standing in the footsteps of Incan priests at Machu Picchu, Heading further into Peru's north along the route of the ancient Moche people, Having an expert guide make sense of fascinating archaeological sites, Spending two days exploring the Sacred Valley, Understanding why Chan Chan is a UNESCO site.
Nothing compares to witnessing the morning light awaken the lost city of Machu Picchu. But there is more to Peru than just one architectural wonder and this 2-week trip goes further afield to show what made these ancient civilisations tick. From Chiclayo and Trujillo in Peru's north, you’ll explore the ruins and archaeology of Sipan, the Pyramids of Tucame, and Chan Chan—a UNESCO World Heritage Site. With an expert guide at your side offering context, you’ll come away feeling totally connected to this land of legend.
Check out our Trip Details for even more information about this trip.
Day 1 Lima
Arrive at any time. Arrival transfer included.
Day 2 Cuzco (1B)
After an early flight, take an orientation walk of Cusco and introductory Spanish lesson. Option to visit museums, ruins and leisure time for shopping.
Days 3-4 Sacred Valley (2B,1L,1D)
With an expert local guide, we spend two full days in the Sacred Valley of the Incas. We visit local people in the Ccaccaccollo community and at the Planeterra sponsored Women's Weaving Co-op. Then, explore the Pisac handicraft market and have on-site lectures at the Pisac, Moray and Ollantaytambo ruins. Also visit and learn about the pre-Incan salt pans of Las Salineras and enjoy a traditional Pachamanca-style dinner of local specialities.
Days 5-6 Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu/Cuzco (2B)
Scenic train to Aguas Calientes with an interpretive tour and 2-day entrance to the archaeological site of Machu Picchu. Option for hiking, hot springs and shopping.
Day 7 Cuzco (1B)
Enjoy your day at leisure. Optional activities include: horseback riding, archaeological sites such as Sacsayhuaman, Tambo Machay and Puca Pucara, visits to churches and museums, whitewater rafting, rock climbing and shopping.
Day 8 Lima/Chiclayo (1B)
Flight to the north of Peru, connecting through Lima.
Day 9 Chiclayo (1B)
With our expert local guide we visit the Bruning Museum in Lambayeque, containing relics and artifacts of Peru’s most important archaeological discovery of the past 50 years. Also visit the royal Moche tomb at Sipan which was unearthed in 1987.
Day 10 Chiclayo (1B)
Today we explore the archaeological site of Tucume, home to 26 pre-Columbian adobe pyramids. After, we visit the famed 'witches market', where local Shamans sell herbs and offer their spiritual services.
Day 11 Trujillo (1B)
Travel to Trujillo with a stop at the El Brujo archaeological complex, a major religious and population centre of the ancient Moche people between the 1st and 7th centuries AD.
Day 12-13 Trujillo (2B)
Explore the ancient Chimu capital of Chan Chan with an expert guide. Considered the largest pre-Columbian city in the Americas and the largest mud city in the world. Afterwards, it’s off to another archaeological site, the temples of the Sun and Moon which appear like two pyramid-shaped huacas overlooking the south bank of the Moche River. Day 13 is free to explore with options to visit the beachside town of Huanachaco, more ruins, churches and museums.
Day 14 Lima (1B,1D)
Flight back to Lima and enjoy our farewell dinner at Restaurant Huaca Pucllana, overlooking the famous Miraflores ruins. Option to visit museums and local markets for shopping.
Day 15 Lima (1B)
Depart at any time.
After choosing your desired tour, you will need to select a departure date that works for you. You can view all of our dates and prices on any tour page. You may also want to consider the need for a private room during the tour. Please remember to ask for an air quote. It is important however that you do not purchase tickets that carry cancellations penalties until your trip is guaranteed to run.
- Available – Trips marked as available means there are at least 4 spots left on your tour.
- On Request– Less than 4 spaces are left, or we need to contact a local supplier, especially in the case of independent tours.
- Waitlist – There is currently no space available, but you can ask to be contacted if anything opens up.
Guaranteed - We guarantee our tours 60 days before departure. Some popular tours are guaranteed before this date. If your tour indicates it is guaranteed, you can proceed to book your international airfare once you receive your booking confirmation.
Inca Trail Status - For Peru trips that involve hiking the Inca Trail permits often sell out many months in advance. Permits can either be available, on request or sold out. If sold out, then you can either take a different hiking route to Machu Picchu or extend your stay in Cuzco and visit Machu Picchu by train. We recommend the sooner you book your trip the better.
Book your Tour Online
When you decide to “book now” you will proceed to our secure, online booking pages that are encrypted for online purchases. The processing steps are explained below. Essential information comes first. Let us know who you are and whom you are traveling with.
- Add your personal information for our “passenger” section, such as name (as it appears on your passport), email, date of birth and save that information.
- Please advise us of any medical or meal requirements at this time.
- If you are travelling with anyone else, enter their personal information next, and continue doing this for any passengers you are booking and paying for.
- Review our insurance section so that you’re aware of our requirements.
Note: Discovery Adventures can book your insurance for you.
Proceed to the checkout...
- Please refer to your invoice for a recap of the total cost of services and tours you have requested. Once you have confirmed that your booking details are correct, it is time to book.
- “Hold an option,” means you will have 48 hours to decide, without being charged on your credit card. If you do not confirm, we will release your space for someone else.
- On most tours you can “hold an option” with a credit card or “confirm a booking”.
- Confirming a booking means your credit card will be charged the deposit amount of your tour. The following are the amounts: CAD 250, AUD 250, NZD 250, USD 250, GBP 100, EUR 250.
- Note that you will be charged the full tour amount if your booking request is within 60 days of departure.
- Enter your credit card information as requested and submit the booking to complete your transaction!
- It is a good idea to record your Booking Number and ID for future reference.
We'll be in touch!
Upon receipt of your request, our reservations team will prepare your invoices and documents, and review any special requirements for the tour(s) and services you have requested. You will hear from us within 24 hours of your request by email.
- Please note, even if your online booking went through and you’ve received your booking number, a quality control check is required for all bookings before we can advise to book airfare or extra services.
- We will answer any questions you may have, and provide competitive quotes on both insurance and airfare over the phone.
Good things to know before you go on your Discovery Adventures trip.
Our Discovery Adventures Specialists will take care of all the details of your trip, however some travelers enjoy doing a little research on their own to be ahead of the game. Here are some tips and links to get you started.
- Passport: Make sure your passport is valid up to 6 months from your return date.
- Travel Visas - Requirements change frequently and are dependent upon your nationality and your destination. You are responsible for obtaining your own Visas. Check the Plan Your Trip page to determine if a Visa is required for your specific trip.
- Travel Reports: Most governments have websites dedicated to providing the most up-to-date travel information including recent news and background information on every country. Please visit the US State site for information about your destination and international travel
- Arrival and Departure taxes/fees: Check your tour confirmation documents and speak with a Discovery Adventure Specialist if you have any questions.
- Immunizations and travel health issues: Be sure to get the most accurate and up-to-date health information for the region you will be visiting. Check with your general physician or a specialist from your local travel health clinic.
- Good Health Practices: Adjusting to new climates and cultural conditions can cause some minor complications. This guide will help you stay healthy while you travel.
- Travel Insurance: Be sure to acquire the necessary travel insurance before your trip. You will not be allowed to participate without showing proof of adequate coverage.
- Packing Tips: Create your own packing list based on your destination, accommodations, weather and tour activities. Leave jewelery at home and keep makeup to a minimum. Travel size toiletries stored in a waterproof kit are recommended. Pack once…divide it in half and pack again. (Please verify weight and carry on restrictions with your airline carrier.)
- Please note that if you have booked the "My Own Room" option for this tour, you will receive your own single room for all night stops on tour.
- ex Lima
- Arrival Transfer - Welcome gift - Orientation walking tour of Cusco - Introductory Spanish lesson - 2-Day Sacred Valley tour with visit to the Pisac market and tour of the Pisac and Moray Ruins - Visit to the Ccaccaccollo Community and the Planeterra sponsored Women's Weaving Project - Tour the pre-Incan salt pans of Las Salineras - Visit Ollantaytambo town and ruins - Visit a local chicha house - Traditional Pachamanca-style dinner - Scenic train ride in the Andes - Tour of Machu Picchu and 2-day entrance - Explore Chiclayo with a local expert including the Bruning Museum, The Lord of Sipán tomb, Tucume pyramids and witches market - Visit the El Brujo archaeological complex - Explore the runins of Trujillo with a local expert including; Chan Chan and the Temples of the Sun and Moon - Farewell dinner overlooking the Huaca Pucllana ruins.
- Van, minibus, plane, train, walking, hiking.
- Allow USD350-450 for meals not included.
- Max 16, avg 12
- Comfort hotels (14 nts).
- Discovery Adventures guide, local guides
- 14 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 2 Dinners