Ancient Egyptian Secrets
North Africa / Middle East > Egypt | 15 days
Trip Code: DPESD
Partaking in daily on-site lectures with your local Egyptologist, Exploring some of the most famous archaeological sites in the world, Learning about Islamic and Christian beliefs in the Middle East, Snorkelling at the blue hole, Experiencing colourful local markets and restaurants
Feel that familiar pull of adventure returning? There they are—the Great Pyramids of Giza. From Cairo’s ghostly monuments to a seaside paradise on the Red Sea, our expert guides will descend into the pages of history and join you in the exploration of Egypt’s ancient secrets and its legendary pharaohs. From the grandeur of Abu Simbel and a cruise down the Nile to a dinner with a local Nubian family, the mysteries of Egypt will etch themselves into your memory.
Check out our Trip Details for even more information about this trip.
Day 1 Cairo
Arrive at any time and catch your included transfer to your hotel.
Day 2 Cairo (1B)
Learn the history of the Pyramids of Giza, Sakkara and Dashur on site, entrance into the interior of the Khafre Pyramid and visit to the Sphinx and Memphis. Option to take a camel ride in Giza.
Day 3 Alexandria (1B)
Travel to Alexandria with a visit to the Wadi Naturn Monasteries, guided by a local monk.
Day 4 Alexandria/Cairo (1B)
Explore key historic and archaeological sites including: Pompey’s Pillar, the Roman catacombs and amphitheatre, the Citadel of Qaitbay, Montazah Palace and the modern Bibliotheca Alexandrina (library). Return to Cairo for the night.
Day 5 Aswan (1B,1D)
Catch our flight to Aswan and enjoy a felucca boat ride on the Nile, visiting an authentic Nubian village, and enjoy dinner with a local family. Option to visit the local market.
Day 6 Abu Simbel/Nile Cruise Boat (1B,1L,1D)
Visit the stunning Abu Simbel by plane with our Egyptologist. Check into the Nile cruise boat this evening.
Days 7-8 Nile River Cruise (2B,2L,2D)
Morning visit to the High Dam and explore Philae Temple and the unfinished obelisk quarry. Enjoy our comfortable Nile cruise with visits to Kom Ombo and Edfu temples along the way.
Day 9 Luxor (1B)
Walking tour and lectures at the famed Karnak and Luxor temples and visit to the Mummification Museum.
Day 10 Valley of the Kings/Luxor (1B,1D)
Tour of the Valley of the Kings where we explore some of the tombs and observe archaeologists at work. Visit the Hatshepsut Temple and Colossi of Memnon and enjoy dinner at a local family's home. Option to visit the Tomb of Tutankhamun.
Days 11-13 Dahab (3B,1L)
Fly to Sharm el Sheikh and travel to a Red Sea resort near Dahab. While here we take a guided snorkel trip to the blue hole and enjoy lunch in a local cafe. Option to do a desert excursion, swim and snorkel, shop in Dahab and relax by the sea.
Day 14 Cairo (1B,1L)
Flight to Cairo to visit the Egyptian Museum with the option to visit the mummy room. Take an orientation walk of Khan el-Khalili bazaar.
Day 15 Cairo (1B)
Depart at any time.
After choosing your desired tour, you will need to select a departure date that works for you. You can view all of our dates and prices on any tour page. You may also want to consider the need for a private room during the tour. Please remember to ask for an air quote. It is important however that you do not purchase tickets that carry cancellations penalties until your trip is guaranteed to run.
- Available – Trips marked as available means there are at least 4 spots left on your tour.
- On Request– Less than 4 spaces are left, or we need to contact a local supplier, especially in the case of independent tours.
- Waitlist – There is currently no space available, but you can ask to be contacted if anything opens up.
Guaranteed - We guarantee our tours 60 days before departure. Some popular tours are guaranteed before this date. If your tour indicates it is guaranteed, you can proceed to book your international airfare once you receive your booking confirmation.
Inca Trail Status - For Peru trips that involve hiking the Inca Trail permits often sell out many months in advance. Permits can either be available, on request or sold out. If sold out, then you can either take a different hiking route to Machu Picchu or extend your stay in Cuzco and visit Machu Picchu by train. We recommend the sooner you book your trip the better.
Book your Tour Online
When you decide to “book now” you will proceed to our secure, online booking pages that are encrypted for online purchases. The processing steps are explained below. Essential information comes first. Let us know who you are and whom you are traveling with.
- Add your personal information for our “passenger” section, such as name (as it appears on your passport), email, date of birth and save that information.
- Please advise us of any medical or meal requirements at this time.
- If you are travelling with anyone else, enter their personal information next, and continue doing this for any passengers you are booking and paying for.
- Review our insurance section so that you’re aware of our requirements.
Note: Discovery Adventures can book your insurance for you.
Proceed to the checkout...
- Please refer to your invoice for a recap of the total cost of services and tours you have requested. Once you have confirmed that your booking details are correct, it is time to book.
- “Hold an option,” means you will have 48 hours to decide, without being charged on your credit card. If you do not confirm, we will release your space for someone else.
- On most tours you can “hold an option” with a credit card or “confirm a booking”.
- Confirming a booking means your credit card will be charged the deposit amount of your tour. The following are the amounts: CAD 250, AUD 250, NZD 250, USD 250, GBP 100, EUR 250.
- Note that you will be charged the full tour amount if your booking request is within 60 days of departure.
- Enter your credit card information as requested and submit the booking to complete your transaction!
- It is a good idea to record your Booking Number and ID for future reference.
We'll be in touch!
Upon receipt of your request, our reservations team will prepare your invoices and documents, and review any special requirements for the tour(s) and services you have requested. You will hear from us within 24 hours of your request by email.
- Please note, even if your online booking went through and you’ve received your booking number, a quality control check is required for all bookings before we can advise to book airfare or extra services.
- We will answer any questions you may have, and provide competitive quotes on both insurance and airfare over the phone.
Good things to know before you go on your Discovery Adventures trip.
Our Discovery Adventures Specialists will take care of all the details of your trip, however some travelers enjoy doing a little research on their own to be ahead of the game. Here are some tips and links to get you started.
- Passport: Make sure your passport is valid up to 6 months from your return date.
- Travel Visas - Requirements change frequently and are dependent upon your nationality and your destination. You are responsible for obtaining your own Visas. Check the Plan Your Trip page to determine if a Visa is required for your specific trip.
- Travel Reports: Most governments have websites dedicated to providing the most up-to-date travel information including recent news and background information on every country. Please visit the US State site for information about your destination and international travel
- Arrival and Departure taxes/fees: Check your tour confirmation documents and speak with a Discovery Adventure Specialist if you have any questions.
- Immunizations and travel health issues: Be sure to get the most accurate and up-to-date health information for the region you will be visiting. Check with your general physician or a specialist from your local travel health clinic.
- Good Health Practices: Adjusting to new climates and cultural conditions can cause some minor complications. This guide will help you stay healthy while you travel.
- Travel Insurance: Be sure to acquire the necessary travel insurance before your trip. You will not be allowed to participate without showing proof of adequate coverage.
- Packing Tips: Create your own packing list based on your destination, accommodations, weather and tour activities. Leave jewelery at home and keep makeup to a minimum. Travel size toiletries stored in a waterproof kit are recommended. Pack once…divide it in half and pack again. (Please verify weight and carry on restrictions with your airline carrier.)
- Max 16, avg 12
- Comfort hotels (11 nights), Nile cruise boat (3 nights)
- Van, minibus, plane, felucca, Nile cruise boat, walking.
- 14 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 5 dinners
- ex Cairo
- Looking for a shorter Egyptian Adventure, take a look at our 9 day Egyptian Archeology Adventure DPEAD.
- Please note that if you have booked the "My Own Room" option for this tour, you will receive your own single room for all night stops.
- Arrival transfer - Welcome gift - Tour the Pyramids of Giza, Sakkara and Dahshur - Entrance into Khafre pyramid - Visit to the Sphinx and Memphis - Walking tour at Wadi Naturn Monasteries - Tour of the Bibliotheca of Alexandria, Catacombs and Pompey’s Pillar - Felucca ride on the Nile - Visit a Nubian village and dinner with a local family - Tour of Abu Simbel with flight - Tour the High Dam, Philae Temple and Unfinished Obelisk quarry - Three night Nile Cruise - Tour of Kom Ombo and Edfu Temples - Walking tour of Karnak and Luxor Temples and visit to the Mummification museum - Tour the Valley of the Kings and Hatshepsut Temple - Visit the Colossi of Memnon - Dinner in a local family's home - Snorkel trip - Egyptian Museum tour - Walking tour of Khan El Khalili Bazaars.
- Allow USD200-250 for meals not included
- Certified Egyptologist as Discovery Adventures guide throughout.